Social media, especially TikTok, stands awash with beauty influencers who use their sparkly, filtered videos to coax you to buy products they wouldn’t even use on themselves.
But instead of falling for far-from-honest makeup reviews, good-willed influencers and consumers hit back with ‘deinfluencing,’ a new trend different from your typical TikTok influencer marketing trends.
A Look at the New ‘Anti Influencer’ TikTok Trend: What Is ‘Deinfluencing’?
Deinfluencing is a new TikTok trend where influencers share brutally honest product reviews. The ‘anti influencer’ movement, while still a form of influencing, is in contrast to the biased TikTok influencer marketing trends or tactics, where influencers are typically paid to promote products and services strictly positively.
As of writing, the new TikTok trend’s hashtag #deinfluencing has 732.9 million views. Deinfluencing videos typically include the hashtag and often feature side-by-side comparisons of products or before-and-after shots. Creators may also share their reasons for disliking a product, such as if it didn’t work as advertised or if it caused them to have an adverse reaction.
Reasons why deinfluencing is becoming popular:
- Consumers are becoming more aware of how influencer marketing can be manipulative. They are starting to question the authenticity of influencer recommendations and are looking for more unbiased product recommendations.
- Influencer marketing has become so ubiquitous that it is starting to lose effectiveness. Consumers are bombarded with influencer ads on a daily basis, and they are starting to tune them out.
- Scandals have plagued the influencer marketing industry in recent years. This has led to a decline in consumer trust in influencer marketing.
- The anti influencer trend is seen as a way for creators to build trust with their followers. By refusing to participate in dishonest influencer marketing, creators can show their followers that they are not just in it for the money.
While deinfluencing may seem like a negative trend for influencers, it can actually be a good thing for the industry. By being honest with their followers, creators can set expectations and credibility through videos, leading to more long-term brand partnerships.
Consumers Seek Honest Product Reviews: The Importance of Customer Reviews and Product Recommendations
The new TikTok trend alone spells out the importance of customer reviews. In brand reputation management, honest product reviews are crucial to the buying process and your growth as a company.
Assisting Consumers Make Informed Decisions
When consumers consider buying a product, they often want to know what others think before deciding. They want to know if the product is worth the price, is easy to use and meets their needs. Honest customer reviews can provide valuable insights into these questions, as well as the experiences of other consumers who have used the product.
Since TikTok is filled with beauty influencers, consider this scenario: If you’re considering buying a new foundation, you want to see honest makeup reviews to see how other people like the coverage, the finish and the longevity. You might also want to know if the foundation is easy to apply and blend. Honest makeup reviews can help you answer these questions and make a more informed decision about whether or not to buy the foundation.
Enhancing Products and Services
Businesses can also benefit from honest customer reviews. By reading reviews, companies can learn what their customers like and dislike about their products and services. This information can be used to improve products and services, making them more appealing to consumers.
For example, if a business receives negative reviews about its customer service quality, it can use this information to improve its customer service department. The company might hire more customer service representatives, or it might provide better training for its existing staff members. By taking steps to improve its customer service, the business can increase customer satisfaction and improve its bottom line.
As such, considering the importance of customer reviews, businesses that want to succeed should ensure that they collect and display honest services and product recommendations.
Look Beyond TikTok: Top Customer Review Sites
To guide you on which platform you should consider for review monitoring services, here are the top customer review sites, along with what they offer and who they are best for:
- Amazon is a popular online retailer with a comprehensive customer review system. Studies have shown that businesses with more positive Amazon reviews tend to sell more products. When a product has a lot of positive reviews, it is more likely to show up higher in search results, which means that more people will see it.
- Yelp is a website and mobile app that allows users to leave reviews for businesses. Yelp reviews highlight well-rated businesses to be discovered by more customers. If you’re looking to invest in online review management services, Yelp is a great place to start for local businesses, such as restaurants, shops and service providers.
- Trustpilot is a free platform for businesses to list their information and solicit reviews. Reviews on Trustpilot are generally more detailed than reviews on other platforms, such as Amazon or Yelp. Brands that want to succeed on the platform need to provide good products or services and offer excellent customer service.
- Google Business Profile is a free service that allows businesses to create a listing on Google Maps and Google Search. Businesses can also solicit reviews from their customers through the platform, and such collected reviews are especially helpful for potential customers to find more information about a brand or product they’re looking for online.
- TripAdvisor is a travel website where users can find reviews and opinions of hotels, restaurants and other travel-related businesses. The platform is visited by millions of people each month. So brands with a presence on TripAdvisor can increase their visibility and attract potential customers.
Brand Reputation Management Tips
In brand reputation management, it’s best not to wait for a reputational crisis to arise before you stand on your feet. Take proactive steps to build a positive reputation by providing excellent customer service, creating valuable content and engaging with your audience on social media. Here are three tips that are less common but can be very effective:
- Use humor sparingly. If you receive a negative review that is somehow particularly funny, you can sometimes defuse the situation by responding with humor. However, be cautious in doing so, ensuring it’s appropriate for your brand.
- Extend refunds or discounts. If a customer has a legitimate complaint, you may be able to resolve the issue by offering a refund or discount. Resolutions can appease the customer and prevent them from leaving a negative review.
- Get involved in charity work. Getting involved in charity work can help improve your brand reputation and show that you care more than just making money. Remember, building goodwill with your customers facilitates loyalty.
Tips for Responding to Negative Reviews
When faced with a legitimate negative review, don’t just say, “I’m sorry,” or “We’ll look into it.” Explain specifically what you’re sorry for and what you will do to fix the problem. Here are more tips to consider when responding to negative reviews:
- Respond promptly. Don’t let negative reviews sit for days or weeks without a response. Not acting promptly will only make customers feel their concerns are not being taken seriously.
- Be respectful. Even if the customer is being rude or unreasonable, it’s essential to remain professional and respectful in your response. Showing the customer respect exhibits that you value their feedback, even if you disagree.
- Apologize. Even if you don’t think the customer is justified in their complaint, it’s always a good idea to apologize. Accountability shows the customer that you’re willing to take responsibility for their experience and are interested in resolving the issue.
- Explain what happened. If you understand why the customer is unhappy, explain what happened. Taking the time to communicate will help the customer feel like you’re listening to them and taking their concerns seriously.
- Offer a solution. If possible, offer the customer a solution to their problem. Resolutions could be anything from a refund to a free product. Either way, offering a solution shows the customer you’re willing to make things right.
- Hire review monitoring services experts. Such professionals have the experience and tools to track down and analyze reviews from various sources. Expertise leads to more accurate results than if you were trying to monitor reviews yourself.
Let Your Brand Be Immovable Amidst the Coming and Going of TikTok Influencer Marketing Trends With Rize Reviews
TikTok is a fast-paced platform, and influencer marketing trends can change overnight, making it difficult for brands to keep up and ensure that their campaigns are effective. But with the help of Rize Reviews’ online review management services, brands can stay ahead of the curve.