The internet has become a crucial channel for people to share their experiences and opinions on various products and businesses, including hotels. In parallel, potential guests also use the internet to learn more about hotels before booking. So it’s crucial for hoteliers to have a good understanding of their online reputation and how to generate reviews.
This blog post will explore what hotel online reputation management (ORM) is; why it is important for hoteliers, the top hotel reviews websites for review management, hotel star ratings and review generation tips and the benefits of hiring online reputation management companies.
What Is Hotel Online Reputation Management?
Hotel online reputation management is the methodology of monitoring and managing what people say about hotels online. With hotel reputation management, you employ the following media:
- Owned media – Your own website and social media accounts under your brand.
- Earned media – External organic content such as press articles, blog mentions or reviews.
- Paid media – Any paid or sponsored content such as Google or social media ads.
Hotel reputation management also empowers hoteliers to generate reviews and manage each of them, whether positive or negative. Responding appropriately to negative reviews solidifies the hotel’s image and brand perception among its target market.
Why Hotel Reputation Management Is Important for Hoteliers
Online reviews play a crucial role in the hospitality industry, particularly in this digital age, where people use search engines to research and book hotels. Hoteliers need to ensure their online reputation remains untainted because when you have the best reviews for hotels, potential guests are naturally drawn to your business. You’re also more likely to build loyalty, ensuring a stream of revenue for your hotel.
Let’s underpin more reasons why online reviews are crucial to hoteliers.
#1 Hotel Reviews Speak to Doubts Potential Guests May Have
Since reviews contain actual experiences from your previous guests, potential guests read them to set their expectations. For instance, potential guests may particularly seek out reviews talking about what they need most, like specific hotel amenities. As such, you can identify what guests love the most about your hotel through reviews.
#2 Hotel Reviews Add Authenticity and Persuasiveness to Your Marketing Strategy
Reviews are user-generated content (UGC), which are highly favored by prospects since they are from their fellow guests. So to help connect with your target market, fuel your content marketing initiatives with reviews. For instance, you could extract positive reviews and highlight them on your website or social channels.
#3 Hotel Reviews Prop Up Your Search Rankings
Hotel reviews contain keywords that potential and previous guests actually use. Such keywords are used by prospective guests when searching online. Google may extract and feature certain reviews from your website and prominently display them in search results. You can also target those keywords in your content marketing.
To further probe into the importance of hotel review management: Similarweb, a trusted web analytics company, reveals that tripadvisor.com is the number one site for all things travel and tourism.
Such insight further strengthens the fact that travelers or tourists, a.k.a your potential guests, seek out reviews to learn more about hotels and inform their booking decisions. Large hotel chains with the best reviews for hotels know this very much; that’s why they work with online reputation management companies to let experts take charge of their brand reputation and generate the best reviews for hotels.
For instance, hotel reputation management software company, Rize Reviews, works with the following hotel chains:
- Holiday Inn
- La Quinta
- Comfort Inn
Our team at Rize Reviews conducts strategic run review generation campaigns with our reputation management tool. With our hotel reputation management software, we keep track of results, so we don’t send a review request to those who have already left a review.
Now, if you want to give hotel review management a try on your own, let’s go over the websites where you should manage your hotel star ratings and reviews.
Top Hotel Reviews Website for Hotel Review Management
Thus, a successful ORM strategy begins with knowing where to find reviews. Several hotel review websites exist, and all of them play a crucial role in the hospitality industry. However, there are top hotel reviews websites that hoteliers should focus on, including:
- Tripadvisor – As illustrated above, Tripadvisor is the largest and most trusted travel review site.
- Booking.com – A popular travel review site that also acts as a booking engine.
- Expedia – An online travel agency where customers can book hotels and leave reviews.
- Google – Search engine and review platform to manage Google hotel reviews.
- Facebook – A social media platform where countless potential guests are on.
Above are only some of the review websites you should consider, so employing a hotel reputation management software shouldn’t be an option, even if you choose to do hotel ORM internally.
Hotel Star Ratings and Review Generation Tips: How To Ask Customers for Reviews
To get started with review generation, here are some tips on how to ask customers for reviews:
- Post-stay surveys. Send a survey to guests and ask about their experience during their stay.
- Make it easy to leave a review. Provide links to various review sites in follow-up emails.
- Social media. Create social media pages so that guests can leave reviews and suggestions.
- Train your staff. Form a culture that values customer service and encourages guest feedback.
Why Hire Professional Hotel Online Reputation Management Consultants
In-house staff can handle basic ORM tasks, but it’s advisable to hire professional consultants for expertise, convenience and results. Professional hotel reputation management consultants can significantly benefit hoteliers in numerous ways, including:
- 24/7 monitoring. Professional consultants monitor review sites and social media platforms around the clock. This includes setting up alerts so you’re immediately notified when someone mentions your brand online.
- Crisis management. Professional consultants can not only handle negative reviews but also turn them into business opportunities. For instance, experts can turn negative feedback into actionable insights for you.
- Competitive analysis. Consultants provide competitive analysis and industry benchmarking. They give you a deeper understanding of the hospitality industry, identifying and leveraging your competitors’ weaknesses.
- Automation. ORM consultants are equipped with reputation management tools for a streamlined process. You can easily run and track review generation campaigns and identify where most of your reviews are coming from.
Again, hotel ORM is so crucial for hoteliers to pay attention to, as it can make or break your hotel’s reputation. When you have online reputation management experts overseeing your reviews, hoteliers can improve brand perception, attract more guests and improve their bottom line.
Hoteliers should focus on top review websites, generate reviews and consider hiring professional consultants who specialize in hotel ORM. Through active management and monitoring of online reputation, hoteliers can attract guests with an exceptional guest experience demonstrated in reviews and maintain a positive brand image.
Negative reviews can cause considerable damage to a hotel’s reputation and result in a decrease in revenue. Online reputation management like Rize Reviews can help you avoid such risks.
Our team at Rize Reviews employs customizable software where hotel managers have an overview of campaigns and reputations. Let our team help you increase your Tripadvisor and Google hotel reviews – book a free demo.